Are you tired of waking up in the morning with a sore neck? Well here are five ways to avoid getting up and starting the day cranky because you are already in pain.
1. Make sure you have a great pillow that keeps the alignment between your spine and your neck even. Doing this will allow the muscles to stay loose and comfortable instead of causing stress and tightening during the night.
2. If you watch television before you go to bed then make sure you are either sitting upright or laying down. Do not have your neck bent so as to cause the muscles to be at awkward angles.
3. Do not spend too much time in bed. Laying in one position for extended periods of time is never a good thing. You have to get up and move around. This will not only help you to keep your neck feeling good but your overall mental health will be better with regular sleep patterns. Too much of a good thing is not necessarily good.
4. When you wake up in the morning, sit up, and stretch your neck. Sit on the side of the bed and slowly move your head in a clockwise motion slowly stretching all the muscles around your throat and neck. Then reverse the process and slowly rotate your head in a counter clockwise motion. Repeat this process as many times necessary to remove any stiffness or soreness that may have settled in over the night time hours. (Usually two or three times will loosen things up nicely)
5. Try to keep stress to a minimum. Stress tightens all the muscles in your body and causes stiffness and soreness. Avoid doing stressful things in the hours right before bed. Do not make business calls while laying in bed. Try using stress reducing techniques to keep you from being tense and uneasy while you sleep. Stress can lead to tension which can cause bad dreams and nightmares that will have you flailing around thus straining those neck muscles even more.
I am not an expert nor do I claim to have all the answers. These techniques are just some common sense things to keep you from waking every morning with a sore neck. All too often today, the answer to common problems is some kind of pill or drug when in reality all we have to do is adjust our lifestyle slightly. Changing a few small habits can make dramatic differences in our lives. If you follow these rules you may not only change the way your neck feels in the morning but you may also find that your overall mental health for the start of every day is improved as well.